That was the walk that was...

Soggy

Peaty

Gloopy
Quiet

And I loved it...

The original plan was to do the whole Edale Skyline - about 20 miles and 4500ft ascent, its a walk I've tried to complete 3 or 4 times. Once beaten by a lack of fitness, the rest by the weather. Its also a walk I've always attempted solo, just because I can get to the start by train, I know the hills (I have walked all of it, just not all at the same time) and its the view from the train as it hurtles through the Penines from Liverpool to York or Leeds taunting me as I sit in my suit reading papers...

So if I didn't finish it why did I love it?

Cos it wasn't easy...

16 miles and 2000ft isn't to be sneezed at, that the climb is an undulating one makes life a little easier, as does the nice paths along the Lose Hill -> Mam Tor Ridge... and then it gets fun... No nice mill slab footpaths, no friendly information signs, just walking as per the old days...
Map, compass bearings and a little bit of luck... (I feel I should point out I did have GPS's with OS mapping, and 2 friends being texted updates so I was safe!!!)




That's the trig point on Brown Knoll, I'd like to have hugged it, but my feet and legs were muddy enough from sinking into the peat often enough that my toe nails are stained black (and yes I've used a scrubbing brush)!

So where does this fit in my training? Well, yesterday would be roughly an average day on the coast-2-coast - some are longer, some have more climb, some are shorter and flatter... So I just need to keep at it:-)

For those interested in the detail...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46518578

TTFN

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

12% of a plan…

It’s a kind of magic (the science kind)…