20 miles, Nazi Super Weapons, and cultural vulturing...

I've had a week off... Off the paid work anyway...

Being me, that week off did include one formal meeting representing CHF, couple of meetings in London;  2 shows, 2 exhibitions, 6 museums or galleries, an OU tutorial and a 20 mile run...

The Nazi super weapon was at U534, a salvaged WWII U-Boat now cut into 4 pieces and on display at one terminal of the Mersey Ferry... Yes my life, and Liverpool, can be that surreal.  The weapon was the "Shazaam" torpedo (my name) basically it could be programmed to hunt down specific sounds, rather than just the noisiest... This was 1945; no microchips remember.  Now why this Uboat had 3 of the 12 (yup only 12) ever made is still a mystery...

The shows - The Ladykillers, hilarious, brilliant, excellent acting and superb set... If you love the original (not that travesty that Hollywood produced) then if you can see this...

Classical Spectacular at the Royal Albert Hall - it was cheesy, it was so jingoistic it was cheesetastic!  I even felt sorry for the French in the audience... After mentioning the rugby... and before the Can-Can girls... If you like your Union Jacks large, lasers eye popping, your dancing girls pretty and El Marchi guitar playing plinky then this could be the show for you.  As for me, I've done it once it made me smile and that'll do.

The exhibitions - the Antarctic shows at the Royal Geographic Society and the Natural History Museum - the RGS is free, the NHM is based around a recreation of Scott's main hut for that ill fated mission.

Throw in the John Soane Museum (barking, worth it for the Hogarth's alone), the Huntarian (gory, brilliant, induces slight nasuea), the Horniman, the British Library and the Wellcome Galleries (do lunch there - the sausage rolls are to die for) and it was a damn good week off:-)

Unfortunately, the trip back took 7 hours instead of 2... Grrrrrrr... I will be taking whatever "recompense" Virgin offer... and asking for some more!

Tutorial was a tutorial, and today's 20 miler was great up to 16 miles... Then the keep the fuel intake minimal approach went off the rails... Legs wouldn't function as they're meant to, that wibbly wobbly run you see those at the end of marathons do, well I wasn't that bad but the camber of the towpath did direct me worryingly close to the edge...

However, I didn't get wet... I did do 20 miles, not my fastest, but this run was mainly about rebuilding my confidence (if you've not caught up recently ACHA Blog fills you in).

So this is the run...


And now my aching limbs have had radox and a rest, its time for tea... Goats Cheese & Red Onion Bruschetta followed by pasta... Just what I need before a day back at work...

TTFN

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…