Back on the road & information... We want information

If anyone ever says there's no difference between running on the hills and on the road then they probably haven't tried it and almost definitely deserve a slap...

Based on trying to switch back to road running I know I have stamina in spades, shovels and buckets... I know that I have some speed, even though I've been going long and not doing much at pace...

So why have I found the GNR & the Aintree Grand 10k so hard mentally, and sort of physically... By sort of I mean my niggles are back after much shorter distances than off road, and mentally well it's staying focused in a way I used to be able to do much, much easier.

Part of it is the surface, both were on tarmac or concrete which does jar a bit more than bog... More importantly they were flat.  My stride pattern and cadence was fairly constant, and repetition and repetition isn't what I'm used to.

Off road my cadence is changing all the time, my stride pattern shortens and lengthens on the angle of the ground and even when it's relatively flat my feet are rolling in and out of divots and over rocks.

The mental stuff is places I've been before - I know I can do these distances without short walking breaks, so why did I take them. Physiologically there was no apparent need, just a feeling of bleurgh...

So my job is now a case of combining the strength and stamina I have from the hills, with the old monotonous drive of before.  My baseline fitness is for me, staggeringly good - the GNR was my 3rd fastest Half-marathon and my 10k today was my 5th fastest 10k.  With a bit of speed, a bit more mental toughness both could have edged faster...

Ok, pity party over... Miles, consistent miles is what I need. 




In between these runs I've had a mad week at work; London for 2 days, Buxton and then something which I really enjoyed.  As well as manning (more like putting up and hoping people liked it) the Children's Heart Federation stand, I was there to help the Children's Heart Association Parent Information Day go as well as possible.  CHA is the charity based around the NW that I enjoy the social events of, like the people I get to meet and have helped climb the walls.  As an adult with a dickey ticker it was great that the parents wanted to know stuff, be it from the medical & nursing teams or from an older person like me.

The nicest thing for me was I wasn't alone... As well as the c10 young people doing their thing well away from prying parents, there were about another 10 of us that were no longer young people - who were there to learn as well, but also to share.  Sharing is about what most charity meetings should be about, the opportunity to share your experiences so hopefully others have an easier time of it.  We, and often the medical staff, don't have all the answers but we do have compassion, passion and an understanding of the system from the inside that can help.

So a long week, but a good week... Now, where's a decent training plan...

TTFN

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…