London Week 14: Taper Time, 10 for 1 and Looking forward...

It's done, the last of the long LSRs... 20 miles.  The first time in a marathon training plan I've survived going out to 20 miles twice.



The weather was entertaining, starting off warm enough that I was about to strip off my jacket, followed by a hail storm, followed by torrential rain... and repeat...about every 5 miles.  Soaked to the skin and then baked dry I'm seriously happy that I didn't chaff. 

I'd have preferred to run the second half smoother, but hey ho - 20 miles in a PB is 20 miles in a PB.  And better lumpy than injured!

It also bought up the 10 in 1 ratio I've struggled to reach in other years, so for every mile of the marathon I have run 10 in training... and I've a few more to go.

A taper isn't a full stop, its an active period letting your muscles and tendons and mind get back to their best... That's the theory and whilst I know from experience that the muscles and tendons bit work mentally its bloody hard work... So hold on people I may be a grumpy bastard for a couple of weeks...

The one advantageous I've given myself this year is London is not a stop, its an important way point... a very important waypoint and probably the primary one for the year, but then comes the fun... The Fellsman - 60 miles of brutality, where a third don't get to the finish... and then my local marathon - The Rock & Roll Liverpool Marathon...

So three weeks to London, five to Fellsman, nine to Liverpool...

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it...

TTFN

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…