Six month report... Not doing too bad...

The marathon part of my year is almost up, my two fastest marathons in the bag, a second fastest half marathon, some sexy running bling and the usual collections of aches and pains.

I know myself moderately well, which means I know my tolerance of "doing the same thing threshold" is beginning to reach its limits with running.  I know, shocking, I can get bored of running. It's also been a long slog, from the 31st December I've pushed myself fairly hard - my Garmin (which only gets worn when I'm doing something "proper") reports over 700 km since then - not bad for someone whose first "challenge year" was to do 1000km...

My Fitbit, picking up the days I go off stomping along the canal to get to town as well as the running is floating at over 2500km.

This time last year I was facing an Ultra marathon injured and with a lousy training record, this year I'm facing the same Ultra with a shedload more training, and a specific recce day and some terrain training under my belt - do I want a PB - yes I do.  It's slightly off putting to know that if I don't navigate incorrectly I'll probably take an hour off without trying, but as ever for next week I have my three targets  1) Enjoy the journey 2) don't go off course and get the PB and 3) if its as hot as last year - survive!

I also had a multi-day ultra to look forward to, this year I don't - I'm off to the Swiss Tough Hearts conference, http://toughhearts.ch/

Which will be as tough as a multi-day ultra for a couple of reasons, seeing my international GUCH friends is fantastic, I spend so much of my time doing stuff in the UK (the day job - I do have one, I volunteer for charities, my charity stuff and the runs all eat into my time), that I'm bloody useless at going to see my friends.  And yet they're still my friends.

However, we're a group with an unusually high mortality rate (good god I can be a cold heart scientific bastard) - my friends die, all too often and all too young.  I mourn in my way, and these conferences are a chance for us to celebrate their lives in so many ways.

Which brings me back to running, I've raised over a grand this year through my various runs - which goes to help make the world a better place for the youngsters born today with a dicky-ticker.  If only one kid has half the hassle I've had growing up then its all been worth it.

So what's next; intro to ultra next weekend, then a summer of walking - using the base of fitness I've got to go out and enjoy some serious walking.  My new tarp & bivvy set, as well as the tent, will be put to good use.   I've week off after the GNR and the plan is either something long Scotland or Hadrian's Wall (well it's close!).  I've some hills I want to bag and some fun I want to have.  I also have a long standing itch I need to scratch at the climbing wall...  

Does that mean I'm hanging up my running shoes?  No, but the intensity has gone from my training - I pushed myself to a target I've had for six years, and I got it.  The London Marathon is done, and was worth the wait.  My job now is to find the next thing that grabs my attention in the same way...

TTFN

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…