Back to where it began... and a bit of a forward look

In less than a month I'll be going back to where it all started... Both the running and the long distance walking.

The Great North Run is one of those starting points that I would recommend to anyone, and yes one year they tried to suggest I shouldn't do it because of my heart condition, but they backed down when I reminded them I'd done it seven times...

Hadrian's Wall was first walked before it was a national trail, back in the days when the only stamps you were likely to get were from angry farmers as you cut through their fields.

Both, conveniently, are located in Newcastle (at least the start of the walk).

So, 13.1 miles to run

Followed by 84 miles of National Trail... in 4 days...

That'll be 21 miles, 22 miles, 27 miles and then with a nice almost symmetry 14 miles.

I'm sure I'll find the extra 3 miles to make it to the 100 miles. A ton in 5 days...

As the gang who walked it with me a few years back will know Hadrian's Wall isn't exactly flat.  But its not utterly brutal either. I just hope that the weather is a bit better...

Why repeat stuff? Even making it quicker doesn't change the fact that I've been there and done that... Well partly because its been such a good year (injuries excepted) and I want to celebrate it by doing something I know I'm going to enjoy.  There's also something important about doing things at least twice, to find out what's changed and whether the bits you enjoyed last time are still the best bits.

It's also an indulgence, a week off work to do something I love with no pressure.  This isn't a challenge in the sense that there'll be people waiting on my arrival at the end of each day, there'll be no medal for the full madness (the GNR had better give me one though!). I may buy the t-shirt though...

Oh, and this isn't a closing the circle of life thing - I'm carrying on afterwards... I have the glimmerings of two or three things for next year...

I've an anniversary in November that I intend to celebrate with some madness. Forty years since my surgery.  Which would suggest that 40 miles needs to be done, in one go... and maybe something climbing related...

For those who were expecting something about GUCHs showing off our scars, be patient...

TTFN

Paul


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paul Willgoss MBE

Something a little bit political...

12% of a plan…